Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

Should I try to rescue a kitten that is infected with the

Customer Question

Should I try to rescue a young kitten that is infected with the rhinotraehitis???
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anybody going to answer my question
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am sorry no one has answered your question yet, I just saw the question so I am happy to help you this evening. Rhinotracheitis can be quite common in rescue kittens. But it can cause some serious illnesses and has to be treated appropriately. Usually if treated with appropriate medications and nursing care these kittens can do pretty well. So it would be worth rescuing the kitten if you are able to care for it appropriately. Once you rescue her you should immediately set up an appointment with your vet to examine the kitten and determine a long term treatment plan to give her the best chance to do well.

With any sick kitten though you have to understand that in some instances they do not do well and do not improve but she definitely absolutely deserves a chance! And the best chance is someone who will care for her and nurse her back to health.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this desease curable ??? With this cat???
Rhinotracheitis is a common infection in many cats and many cats recover and do very well from it. It is caused by a virus and the virus goes into remission in the cat usually and can flare up every once in a while but usually they do very well. So it isn't technically curable but she may never have a problem with it throughout her life. And specifically for this cat I honestly can't say because I have not examined her but the majority of cats do recover from it and do well. So she most likely has a good chance of doing well.