Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I have a blue russian cat, he is 1 year and 8 months. He is

Customer Question

I have a blue russian cat, he is 1 year and 8 months. He is been vomiting for about a month and a half, not every day but often. This stops when we give him wet cat food instead of dry food. However, when he has wet food he gets diareaha. So we end up giving him dry food and after a few days then he is back to vomiting and the cycle begins again. Tonight he had a seizure. He has never had one before. Is there anything we should be looking for or do you have any suggestions as to how to explain this to a vet? Or does he need a certain kind of vet? Any ideas would be helpful. Thank you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
In the great majority of cases, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) +/- food intolerance is diagnosed in these cats. The usual progression of events is a diagnostic panel of blood and urine tests including a specFPL blood test which is most sensitive for detecting chronic pancreatitis which needs to be considered in a cat such as Haze. Should nothing untoward show up in such testing, an abdominal ultrasound can be performed to better assess the health of the gastrointestinal tract itself or scoping and biopsy of the GI tract can be performed - a diagnostic option that we don't perform soon enough in too many patients.
The seizure may or may not be related to Haze's vomiting. It's a very uncommon symptom that may occur secondary to food allergy/intolerance and so idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy is considered first at his age.
You also have the option of testing for a food intolerance before any additional testing is performed. Food intolerance/allergy is addressed with prescription hypoallergenic diets. These special foods contain just one novel (rabbit, duck, e.g.) animal protein or proteins that have been chemically altered (hydrolyzed) to the point that Haze's immune system doesn't "see" anything to be allergic to. The over the counter hypoallergenic foods too often contain proteins not listed on the label - soy is a common one - and these proteins would confound our evaluation of the efficacy of the hypoallergenic diet. The prescription foods are available from his vet. There are many novel protein foods and a prototypical hydrolyzed protein food is Hill’s Prescription Diet z/d ultra (a hydrolyzed protein diet is my preference). A positive response is usually seen within a few weeks if we’ve eliminated the offending food allergen. Food intolerance can arise at any age and even after our patient has been eating the same food for quite some time. Please note that it's not a wet vs dry food issue but, instead, a food allergen that we're concerned with and perhaps the offending allergen isn't in the wet food.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Hi Amy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?