Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 7 year old cat had s first distemper shot 10 days ago.

Customer Question

My 7 year old cat had his first distemper shot 10 days ago. Since then he is feverish and sleeps all the time. Is he having a reaction to the shot?
Submitted: 1 year ago via Dog-Health-Guide.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about your cat. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
How high is his fever? Is he eating?
Most vaccination reactions haooened shortly after the vaccination, and only last 12 to maybe 24 hours, often much less. If he has been sick for 10 days, it may be from something other than the vaccination.
Most vaccination reactions respond to a short course of anti inflammatory medication. Have you had him back to the vet that vaccinated him to be checked and treated?
If he were mine, I would probabably do some basic blood tests if he has had a fever for 10 days to check his blood counts, and test for viruses that can cause prolonged fevers.
Let me know how he is doing and what else I can answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He had the vaccination 10 days ago, however the fever and sleeping constantly just started 3 days ago. He is feverish to the touch also.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has never had a distemper shot before.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
To react to something, you have to be exposed to it once, then you make antibodies, and may have a reaction the next time. A person with bee sting reactions does not react to the first beesting, but only after they have made antibodies to the first one.
Since this was his first vaccination, and he did not get sick until a week after the vaccination, I really do not think this is a vaccine reaction. He sounds like he is sick, from a virus or other infection. Rarely cats will get the actual disease from a vaccination, but if he had distemper from the vaccination you would be seeing vomiting and diarrhea.
If this were my own cat, I would be running some tests for viral diseases, and starting him on antibiotics.
Let me know how he is doing.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is your cat doing today?