Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I am feeding a kitten on a bottle mother cat stop nursing it

Customer Question

I am feeding a kitten on a bottle mother cat stop nursing it is peeing fine but no potty It is about 3 weeks old Is there any I can give it?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now this is not an uncommon situation. No matter how well kitten formula is made, it is just not as good as mum's milk. Therefore, if we have a kitten that is not passing stool when stimulated, we do have to be wary about constipation.
Therefore, to help this little one, there are a few treatments you can try. First, do double check that you are not making the kitten formula too strong. If you are, then we'd need to adjust this for the future. But in any case, for the moment, do consider diluting it with water or unflavored Pedialyte. This will help dissolve any blockages and keep this wee one hydrated.
If she is straining or a few feeds of diluted milk doesn't correct our issue, then I would suggest that you add a small volume (pea sized) of cat hair ball treatment to her milk. This is a mild GI lubricant and can help get things moving.
Finally, for severely impacted kittens, I would note that we can also add 1-2 drops of stronger GI lubricants (ie Miralax, Lactulose, food grade mineral oil) to their milk. Of course, I would not advise this first off and if you did need to use these then be aware that they must be fed with great care (since aspiration into the lungs would be harmful).
Overall, when we need kittens to pass stool, the above are our step-by-step approach. So, do dilute the milk feeds now +/- give a small dose of cat hair ball treatment. If this doesn't get things moving in the next 12-24 hours or she is uncomfortable, then those other lubricants can be tried or you may need to have her vet give her a wee enema to clear this for her.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )