Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

What can I give my 11 year old cat pain?

Customer Question

What can I give my 11 year old cat for nail pain?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- What is the problem with his nail?

2- How long has this been going on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually, it's all his nails. They're too long and are causing him great discomfort since Friday night. That's when I first noticed him biting his back feet between the toes and is scratching all soft articles around the house. He also cries out at times.I let his nails get too long but am making and appt. For tomorrow morning for a trim.I feel terrible.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, unfortunately there is nothing over the counter that can be given to Alvin for pain; medications like ibuprofen, tylenol, etc. are all toxic to cats. Having his nails long is not painful, he may be scratching trying to trim them, but, this is not a sign of pain. He will need to wait until the morning to have his nail trim.

I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter