Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I have a 6 month old male Manx kitten he has started

Customer Question

I have a 6 month old male Manx kitten he has started throwing up his gum are turning light pink we are fighting a battle with fleas and everything we have used hasn't helped I know the signs of dehydration I was wondering if I could give him some replacement milk to rehydrate him till I can get my fur baby to his dr.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.
First, I must advise you to be very careful regarding the fleas and his pale gums. Flea bite anemia is a serious issue in kittens and the fleas can drain our wee ones dry. So, make sure he is up to date with a good quality flea product, but also treat your house with an IGR (insect growth regulator) containing product and even flea comb him (you can dunk the fleas in dish soap to kill them as you remove them) to get these parasites off.
Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** vomiting and dehydration situation, we need to tread with care. You can certainly offer replacement milk or even unflavored Pedialyte to keep him stable until you see your vet. But be aware that if that makes him vomit, then we'd need to stop and get his local vet or ER vet to treat him with an injectable anti-vomiting medication. (Since as I am sure you can appreciate, more vomiting would be counterproductive and risky for him).
Please take care,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.