Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 year of veterinary experience in feline surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

Do cats get kidney stones? Our kitty seems to have abdominal

Customer Question

Do cats get kidney stones? Our kitty seems to have abdominal cramping and is squatting like she needs to pee. Only a little urine comes out. She's very uncomfortable. from what I've seen so far it doesn't look like there is blood in few drops of urine. Also urine is normal color, not overly yellow.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. Christian. I'd like to help. How long has Duchess had this problem? Is she eating and drinking normally? Has she had any vomiting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
First noticed yesterday. No vomiting. Honestly have not noticed if she's eating or drinking normally. We have 2 cats that feed from same dish. Discomfort has elevated from yesterday. She's not acting completely distressed, but her condition has worsened. I have photos and video if that would be helpful. If it wasn't Sunday I would be taking her to the vet.

Thank you for the information. The symptoms you've described are those of bladder pain. Since she is passing urine and otherwise is doing pretty well I don't she has a urinary blockage (rare for a female cat) but the discomfort is making her feel like she has to urinate. I suspect that a urinalysis would show blood in her urine, even though it is not visible to the eye. Here are the possible causes:

Urinary tract infections will cause blood to appear in the urine and are more common in female cats. Symptoms include painful urination, having to urinate more often in smaller amounts and drinking more water. Urinalysis and sometimes a urine culture are necessary to diagnose an infection. Antibiotics are necessary to clear the problem.

Bladder stones are also common in all pets, less so in cats than dogs, and are caused by many different types of stones. Symptoms are very similar to urinary tract infection. Most stones can be seen on x-ray but a few require ultrasound to visualize. Occasionally stones also appear in the kidneys or other parts of the urinary tract. There are times when stones can be dissolved with diet but surgery is often required to remove them. The stones can then be sent for analysis to determine the cause and the best way to prevent them from returning. Usually prescription diets are the most common way to prevent return of the stones.

Idiopathic Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (IFLUTD) is common in cats and the cause is unknown. It causes painful urination. Treatment is difficult because the cause is unknown. What seems to work for one cat may not work for another.

Infection and IFLUTD are the most likely causes and your vet will probably recommend a urinalysis and some x-rays. There isn't much to be done at home but try to get her to drink more fluids by adding water or warm chicken broth to her food. If you have more questions please let me know.

If you need anything else don't hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for the info. we'll take her to the vet tomorrow.

You're welcome. Good luck.

Hi Cam,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Christian K.