Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat has had some trouble walking - it is only s back

Customer Question

My cat has had some trouble walking - it is only his back legs- but it comes and goes- it does not appear to cause any pain- but it is very worrisome - i was trying to see if it could be a side effect from the distemper shots
because i thought the shelter i got him from had given him the full set of shots but the vet didn't so the vet gave him 2 boosters (one in June and one yesterday) and the walking was definitely worse seen we got home from the vet
but of course he walked fine while he was at the vet -
so the vet concentrated on another issue - weight loss and increased appetite - which at this point we are thinking is a tape worm (since he had that at the shelter ) but do you think they could all be related? do you think the walking could be related to the shot? or the rare side effect i read about of a tumor from the shot?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Where did they place the injection?
Between his shoulder blade? In one leg?
If it was given in a leg, does he favor that one?
Any swellings in the affected legs?
What does he do when he walks that is abnormal? Is he stiff, dragging a leg? Does the leg get stuck straight or does he appear to shake it out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i know that the original injection(from Feb) was in his shoulder blade- but yesterday was in his leg- but i am not sure which one- i wasn't watching -
no swelling- no dragging-not stuck straight- but if he has been lying down when he tries to get up he i every wobbly
it does seem to get a little better once he gets going - like running is easier than walking
or standing - he often spreads his back legs out wide to give himself better balance when he sits or walks slowly - that seems to help- Is it possible this kind of thing could get better or go away? What would we need to do help him to get him better?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Can you confirm when these signs started?
Could you video his walk/gait for me, post it on YouTube, and paste the web link here so that I can see what you are seeing?