Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My kitten went yesterday to be neutered. They called and

Customer Question

My kitten went yesterday to be neutered. They called and said he had a reaction to the anesthetic. This heart stopped and he stopped breathing. They never gave a time on how long they did CPR but he did start breathing. When we got there he was breathing, making a grunting noise, eyes open but starring into space, his body is almost stiff (they call it rigid limbs). He is staying at the hospital where they are administering fluids, mannitol and dexamethasone. He has been there for 12 hours with no signs of change yet. The vet there said to keep him there for 24 to 48 hours. Is there any chance he may come out of this?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.
I am so very sorry to hear about your little one's anesthetic complications. Based on what you have told me, I am concerned that he either has swelling of the brain secondary to his arrest or that his brain may have been without oxygen for too long during the time they were doing CPR.
In regards ***** ***** it does sound like your vet is doing all they can in a situation of this nature. Mannitol will reduce any fluid build up in the brain that could make it swell. And Dexamethasone is a very powerful steroid that can reduce brain inflammation.
So, beyond this, it is a case of supportive care (ie IV fluids to prevent dehydration, eye lubrication if he isn't blinking, and passive range of motion if he isn't moving his limbs) and giving him time. The brain is one of the most sensitive and slow to heal organs of the body. So, we would want to give him another day or two to give him a chance to respond to those treatments. But I would say that if we have no positive change at all after 48 hours, then we likely have a situation where the brain tissue was just starved of oxygen for too long and brain damage has resulted. And in that case, as he cannot stay as he is, we'd have to consider letting him go.
Please take care & my thoughts are with you,
Dr. B.