Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I have a 7 week kitten and it jumped down off my bed and now

Customer Question

I have a 7 week kitten and it jumped down off my bed and now it can't move her back legs. She scoots on her stomach. Not sure what to do
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How long has Zoey been like this?
Does she have any voluntary use or movement of those hing legs?
If you pinch her toe, does she look or respond like she felt it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It just happened about 45 min ago. She is actually sleeping but when I touch her toes she does not move. And she can not move them at all in fact when she tries to walk her back legs are still crossed sometimes
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
If she cannot move her back legs voluntarily and has no feeling when you handle her back feet; I have to say that I am worried that she has damaged her spine. This jump/landing may have caused a blood clot or cartilage emboli to lodge in her spinal canal and compress the cord. Or if there was any issue with the impact pressure on the spine, we may have swelling or a disc out of place.
In any case, if she cannot move them nor feel them; then this is a very serious and urgent situation for her. Therefore, even if she is resting, we need to get her seen urgently. Her vet can assess her neurological function and rule out any other issues (ie fractures/strains/etc). They can also check her bladder to make sure she can pass urine on her own (a major life threatening issue if she cannot). If they confirm our concerns, then they can try her with strong injectable anti-inflamamtories to see if they can reduce the swelling or compression on the spine and help her regain function. Or if this is thought to be disc related or severe, then she could even need referral to a neurologist.
Overall, I am quite concerned about Zoey. These signs raise concerns of spinal damage. Therefore, if she has no sensation or motor function in the back legs, it is an urgent situation that we need her local vet to assess and address urgently.
Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via
http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193
Please take care,
Dr. B.