Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech 35+ years working w/Cats
5071285

We took our cat to the vet after she got an anaphylactic

Customer Question

We took our cat to the vet after she got an anaphylactic shock from wasps. The vet gave her injections, IV, and anti-biotics. They kept her over night.They gave her back to us the next day, saying she should be okay. She still doesn't look very good, panting a lot. Is there more treatment that we should seek for her? What is her chance of recovery? Should we worry or just let her rest for a while?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with interest in Feline health.

Do you know if they gave your cat a Steroid shot to assist with anaphalaxis?

What medications is she taking?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He gave her a shot when we first came in. He said "I am giving her a life saving drug." He also gave her injections of antibiotics but she is not taking other medications right now. She was hooked up to an IV over night.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I am sure they gave her Epinepherine which is given for the breathing along with an antihistamine and usually a Steroid. If I am correct that she was given a Steroid, that can account for the panting and her not feeling 100%. She may be more sleepy, thirsty and urinate more if she was given a cortical steroid. The Anaphalaxis plays heavy on the organs so recovery time is slower than normal, but with time she should be doing better. Your Vet did everything that is normally done in this situation and saved her live with the Epinepherine shot and medications given. Now her body needs time to recover. I would have her back in for some blood work to check kidney and liver functions and make sure she is doing ok as a follow up. I would allow her to rest. When you do see the Vet yo may want to ask to keep an Epi-Pen on hand incase she is stung again. It is for emergencies like what you just faced. This is some information on anphalaxis and how treated and what to expect: http://www.2ndchance.info/anaphylaxis.htm

Please let me know if I have addressed your concerns and if I have please rate m service Postive. If you need help, please hit reply.

Joan