Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My !15) year old female cat is loosing weight. Blood & urine

Customer Question

My !15) year old female cat is loosing weight. Blood & urine factors all close to normal. How canI put weight on her
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am sorry ot hear that Dixie is not able to keep weight on. I am happy to help you this evening. I have a cat at home that is 18 with the same problem I have ran every test and found no reason for her to lose weight. But we have managed to keep her weight maintained. Make sure you vet checked Dixie's thyroid though as older cats can get hyperthyroidism and all other blood work can be normal and just thyroid is high. This is controlled by medication if needed. But in the mean time the hard and soft food is great. Keep it out all times of day change it out to fresh food daily. The other way to maintain weight is to add in protein so canned salmon, canned tuna, canned chicken (all low sodium) to her food. They love this usually and this is pure protein that can help then gain or maintain weight. Also a product called nutrical is a gel like treat you give them daily to increase their calories and to increase their vitamins. So you can get this from pet stores or your vet. So add in the canned chicken or tuna or salmon and nutrical in addition to all the other food and this can definitely help. But check with your vet to make sure that the thyroid is normal.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Whitehead