Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

We just lost a 9 week old kitten. She was fine last night;

Customer Question

We just lost a 9 week old kitten. She was fine last night; playing and jumping around. Today we could''t find her. After hours of searching she crawled out from under some hosts. Her eyes were matted closed and her body was limp. We brought her inside, gave her water via syringe, pet electrolytes and the highly caloric gel that she used to love. I tried to get her to nurse from her mother but she would not. Finally this afternoon she began to jerk and meow constantly. She threw up a considerable amount of black stuff and then died. I wonder if she ate a poisonous plant or if she has something that the other kittens may have also contracted. Additionally, I have an inside persian cat that I am very concerned about as far as contagion.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome!
My name is ***** ***** I will be glad to help with your question.
My apologies that you did not receive an answer earlier; different experts are online at various times and I recently logged in and read your question. Your patience is greatly appreciated.
I'm so saddened to hear this terrible news about Tiny and I send you my heartfelt condolences.
From your description of the circumstances, it does sound like she may have ingested a toxic substance, like a plant, flower, grass, rat poison, antifreeze, just to name a few, and this is what caused her demise. It's also possible that she got hit by a vehicle or bike and sustained internal injuries that were, unfortunately, too serious to survive.
I fully understand your concern for the other kittens and your older cat in the household. The only way to find out for sure what caused her death would be to have the vet perform a necropsy (and autopsy for animals). In this way, you can find out if she had any kind of contagious condition. If this is not possible, it would be a good idea to have all the other kittens and your older cat seen by the vet in person and have a routine blood test.
For the moment, monitor the other kittens carefully and perhaps don't allow them outside, just in case there IS an easily accessible toxic substance there, that they can get into.
I hope all will be well with your remaining kittens and older Persian.
Again, my sincerest condolences on the loss of poor Tiny and perhaps this pet loss site and poem will help ease your grief, in some small way:
http://rainbowbridge.com/
(scroll down to the bottom right and click on 'The Poem.')
Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback so I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you.
Rating will not cut off our communication and you can click 'Reply' at any time to keep in touch with me or ask for any clarification or additional information.
Warmest regards,
Cher