petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

I have a 15 year old calico cat who isn't eating or

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Marie. I have a 15 year old calico cat who isn't eating or drinking. I took her to the vet last Monday for her rabies vaccination. She got the 3 year dose, which she has gotten before, but this time she evidently had a bad reaction. She stopped eating Wednesday and started acting grumpy and withdrawn. By the next day she was hiding and shrinking away from my touch. Now she is still withdrawn, but she no longer shrinks away from my touch and even purrs a little, but she is dying. That's pretty obvious. I do not want to take her back to the vet to be euthanized only because she is terrified of the carrier and the vet. I don't want her last thoughts to be about the vet. I'd like her to die peacefully here at home with me and her family. Is there anything I can do to ease her through this transition?
Thank you,
Rachel
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Patches today. I'm a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy to work with you.
I think that if she was healthy enough to vaccinate on Monday, the odds of her being sick enough to the point of dying from a simple vaccine reaction are pretty low. Cats can definitely seclude themselves and act withdrawn if they are not feeling well, but it is very possible with a little supportive care, she will bounce back. Most times, a vaccine reaction can lead to muscle pain which can be treated with pain relievers. If she is painful however, she may hide, and refuse to eat or drink which can start a vicious cycle of feeling even worse because of metabolic changes that occur secondary to the anorexia. All of this is reversible if identified and treated early enough. Often an older cat needs fluid therapy to jump start their eating and get them to feeling better.
I would strongly urge you to seek veterinary assistance today! Waiting will only make this harder to reverse. If you do not have facilities to take her to on a weekend, consider a house call veterinarian, but they may not be available until Monday or later and you do not want to wait that long.
I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.
Dr Z
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rachel,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Z.