Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have a 15 year old feral cat that I rescued as a kitten

Customer Question

I have a 15 year old feral cat that I rescued as a kitten after she had been attacked by a barn owl. She has spent her whole life in my house she is terrified of the outside because of the event when she was a kitten? She won't let anyone near her except me. She is old now and what I thought was arthritis may be something worse because when you touch her back near her tail she cries out in pain. She still walks but with a bit of a limp, I don't know what to do... Any advice?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How long has Lily been sore at this spot?
Any swellings at that site?
Is it her back legs where she has the limp?
Is she holding her tail normally or down?
Any changes around her rectum (ie swellings, sores, lumps, etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is some swelling, I can't say for sure how long because she spends a lot of time hiding. Maybe about a month? Not her back legs, they seem okay. The swelling is like a small area about the size of about the width of a soda can on the back by the tail. Her tail is down but she still moves it, and her rectum does seem a bit, a tiny bit swollen. Also, she isn't pooing very much.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can we chat instead? My phone # ***** ***** XXXX
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
My apologies, but I cannot offer the live phone call option at this time. Therefore, please let me know if you want to discuss this situation further via the Q+A feature as we have or if you wish for me to opt out to see if a fellow colleague can offer this service to you.
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wait, can we still chat here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant, yes we can continue with the Q &A here.... Are you still there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh crap....that's it? Hello?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What the hell just happened? Is there anyone still there? I'm I done? No answer? Nothing?