Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

I have a question. MY cat seems to look like he is trying to

Customer Question

Hi i have a question. MY cat seems to look like he is trying to throw up but he doesn't then he went to the corne and peed
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is eating normally he just seem to get a sudden urge of gagging and looks like he is going to throw up but nothing comes up.
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.

Hi there!

I have a few questions for you to help me understand the situation better:

1. How long has this been going on?
2. How many times a day does he gag?
3. Outside of him urinating in the corner once, have there been any other problems urinating?
4. Have you seen him strain to urinate with little or nothing coming out over the past day or so?
5. When was the last time you know he urinated?
6. Does he spend any time outdoors?

Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since yesterday this has happened. Today it only happened once. Yesterday he did it 3 times. No problems peeing outside the litter box other than once yesterday and once today. Doesn't seem to be straining urination. Not sure when he did pee. He is an indoor cat.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems like he urinated because he got scared. He looks like he is frightened when he starts to gag
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.

Got it, thanks.

It's hard to say which is the most important, the gagging/attempts to vomit or inappropriate urination. It's more likely that these seemingly unrelated symptoms are related, than not, however. For example, inappropriate urination (i.e. urinating outside the box) could signal inflammation of the urinary bladder, which causes pain and sometimes can lead to gagging or vomiting. On the other hand, nausea or abdominal pain (intestinal blockage, infections, etc) can cause cats to urinate inappropriately.... Also, gagging may actually not have anything to do with attempting to vomit and may be a cough instead, which takes the focus from the gastrointestinal system and shifts it to respiratory, in which case problems like asthma and heart disease become more likely.

Since these symptoms are relatively non-specific, and because the potential causes can be serious (such as urinary blockage or heart disease) it's important to get more information before making decisions on how to proceed with treatment, if at all. I would make an appointment with your veterinarian tomorrow, if possible and have Leo evaluated. The good news is that he's eating well, but I would not wait long to have him looked at because the earlier the problem is found the better the outcome usually is. For now, I would feed him only small frequent meals of his food, rather than 1 or 2 bigger meals per day and put him in a separate room or a blocked off part of the house with his litter box so that you could monitor his urination carefully and see if he is straining while urinating. If that is the case, I would take him to the nearest vet ER immediately as urinary blockage can become a life threatening emergency within about 36 hours of blockage.

Hope this helps!

Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.

Yep that's certainly a possibility - urinating out of fear or stress associated with the gagging; I would still follow recommendations above, because it's hard to be sure why exactly....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you doctor. What would be a sign to know if it's eithet urinary blockage or possibly something else. Is there anything as specific i should look for
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Especially in his urine
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.

Signs of urinary problems, other than urinating outside of the box are: increased frequency of urination, straining in the litter box, vocalizing while urinating, blood in the urine or inability to urinate. These problems are most common in young male cats, so if you see any of these symptoms, please take him right away. Here is a link with more information: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1111

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From what my brother told me since he was with him all day. He threw up a little this morning which seemed tobmake hik feel better. He didn't gag until this evening. There doesn't seem to be any blood in the urine that was on the floor from a little while ago. That was the only time other than yesterday that he ever went outside the box. Yesterday he didn't do much. But today until he had the gaging incident he wass he usual self running around. In your opinion what do you think it is
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.

That's a good sign. It's hard to give you an intelligent opinion without actually physically examining Leo so I can only tell you what the most common / likely causes or the symptoms are... Gagging, if that's all that it is, could also be associated with ingestion or inhalation of foreign objects or infections (an upper respiratory infection could result in drippage of fluid to the back of the throat causing gagging). So, it seems that, since he's acting fine otherwise, serious things are less likely. Cats are good at hiding signs of illness though, so I would not let your guard down and if he continues to gag, get him over to your vet tomorrow. It's better to find out everything is fine early on, than to find out there is a serious problem later that could have been fixed easily earlier!