Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat got accidentally sprayed by professional insecticide.

Customer Question

My cat got accidentally sprayed by professional insecticide. I tried to wash him off in the sink but I'm not sure if that's good enough.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Wylie. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Do you know what the actual chemical was that he was sprayed with? For some insecticides, a bath is all you need to do. For others, you may need to treat with an antidote, or give medication to control the symptoms.

If it was fipronil, or imidacloprid a bath is enough. If it was a pyrethrin, he may have tremors that may resolve in a day or so or be severe enough to require treatment with methocarbamol.

Is he showing any symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pesticide was Temprid SC. He has been bathed again using Dawn dish soap. He seems to be acting fine so far.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for that information. There are two ingredients in this product, one is the imidacloprid I mentioned before, and washing in Dawn will have taken care of this.

The other is β-cyfluthrin. It can be toxic to cats, but according to my drug resources, it should also be OK: "at the concentrations used in residential settings it is unlikely to cause a problem, even for cats."

Your quick thinking of bathing in Dawn was the best thing to do. He should be OK, but watch for things like his shaking his paws, tremors, shaking, etc. If he continues to seem normal and shows no symptoms, he should be find.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, should be fine. Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the response
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome! Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Kindly consider rating my answer (always appreciated!); you can still get back to me with updates and questions after rating.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
How is Wylie today?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He seems to be fine! I'm so relieved! Thank you for following up.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome. Thank you for the update. I am glad he is OK.
Let me know if I can help with anything else, or if I can earn a good rating from you so the website knows I was helpful.