Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat last 2 days has not been eating and sleeping a lot.

Customer Question

HI my name is ***** ***** cat for the last 2 days has not been eating and sleeping a lot. She has been active but sleeping more than normal and with food she runs to her plate and smells and walks away and the same with the water. Yesterday we noticed both eras were very hot but today they are cool. She is a bit dehydrated her gums are sticky and her nose is dry, her eyes look good no redness or yellow or crying. If we carry her she doesn't cry or show sings of stress. Also I have not seen her groom herself and she has seen liking her mouth constant. Thank you for your help
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

In a young cat like this, with lethargy and a fever, it sounds like it's some type of upper respiratory infection. It doesn't sound like she has the sneezing or ocular discharge signs. It may be that she has more of a laryngitis in the throat as opposed to the eyes/ nose.

Most of these are infections that will run their course over 7-10 days. If they stay hydrated and continue to eat, they usually resolve on their own. I would just try hard to get fluids and food into her. A canned food warmed up in the microwave would work well.

If she seems to be worsening, then I would have her seen and potentially run bloodwork to make sure her organ function is normal. They could also treat with some antibiotics and fluids to help with her hydration. It does sound fairly mild to me, though, and I bet it resolves on its own.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you this was very helpful
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome.