Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

Cat does not move, just remains still not eating or

Customer Question

Cat does not move, just remains still not eating or drinking. Began today
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your 7 year old girl Sebring. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. The symptoms you have mentioned regarding Sebring are very concerning, and I would definitely recommend getting her seen by your local Vet or ER vet as soon as you can. There are a number of things that could be going on here with your girl, including anything from trauma (such as being hit by a car if she is an outside girl), to a toxicity or poisoning, to an internal organ issue. The fact she isn't eating is a worry, but the fact she isn't drinking anything is much more of an immediate concern. She might be reluctant to move because she is so weak, or due to pain somewhere in her body.

For now, please keep an eye on your girl's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she is continuously panting or open mouth breathing at all tonight, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

If you can get Sebring seen right now - please do. These types of symptoms always warrant a vet visit within a few hours. Here they can carry out a full physical exam to try and ascertain what might be wrong with your girl, as well as a full blood panel. I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.