Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

3 month old kitten is lethargic, seems to have a fever.

Customer Question

Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be happy to help you. I may need to ask you a few questions to better assess your situation.
For how long has this been going on for?
Any vomiting or diarrhea?
Any coughing or sneezing?
Any lack of appetite?
Does she spend any time outside?
Why does she seem to have a fever to you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Symptoms appeared Tuesday. She's usually very active. First of three to walk, run, climb. Male sibling died two weeks ago; did not thrive like these two. I was away for weekend, Cali was left outside with mother and brother and other cats. She came inside with me Monday night to air conditioning, etc. She seems warm, left eye was puffy, I used a couple drops of eye wash, pressed gently, green stuff came out Tuesday night (late evening). Also seems to defer to her sibling when time to eat. He's bigger.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No coughing or sneezing when I'm around. She sleeps a lot; will not play. Does still go to litter box, wants to go outside. She comes to eat, but not much.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information. The eye issue strongly suggests a herpes viral infection. It could have been what caused the death of the other male sibling, but the other 2 were strong enough to fight it off. It is a very common infection among cats. It is possible that she has an injury to the eye or some other type of infection. Even though these start out as viral infections, they commonly progressed to bacterial infections, so antibiotics tend to help them get over this quicker. She also needs some prescription eye medication to help clear the eye up before it gets worse. Your vet will most likely want to stain the eye to look for any ulcers. Some of these cats require an anti-viral eye medication, but since those are expensive and some clear up with antibacaterial medicine, we usually try those first. I would also consider getting her on 250mg of L-lysine twice a day. It will help to booster her immune system to fight this off. I would see if your vet can get her in today. If not, I would have her seen tomorrow morning at the latest because it can progress to respiratory signs. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns before rating. Hope this helps.