Dr. Elaine
Dr. Elaine, Veterinarian
Experience:  D.V.M.; Small animal emergency and general medicine for 26 years
24704774

I have a 4 year old spayed female. I took her to the vet 3

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 4 year old spayed female. I took her to the vet 3 days ago and he just did a quick check up plus a test to see if she has Giardia (he performed a Giardia snap test where he inserted a thing that looks like a long Qtip into her anus) it looked uncomfortable for her but it went fine and the result was negative. The check up went well and he said she looked healthy and fine. When we came back home she was relatively ok, she just hid for a few minutes which she usually does after a vet visit, but then she came out and ate and was acting kinda normal. When I woke up the next morning I found he plate empty which is a good sign she ate overnight then she climbed on top of one of our closets and slept (something she only does when we have guests over) I left to work and came home 7 hours later to find her still in the same spot. I got worried as she never does that. I took her down, she seemed a bit sluggish but then she ate which was good. After that though, she ran and hid under one of out couches. She stayed there for a long time. She was acting scared. I just let her be. After a while she came out and ate. But she is definitely not herself. She wont play as she usually does and she wont respond to any playful attempts from me. And she would stand in the same spot for a long time and not move. then she would just sit or sleep. Her behaviour is strange. Its like she is not interested in me. She usually follows me around the house, but she is not doing that anymore. Its been like this for 3 days. Could the Giardia snap test possibly have made her sore or something? Could she be in pain? Is it possible which such a test? I am really worried. She usually runs and chases stuff but she is not running ever since and she is not as playful, The only thing that is comforting me is that she is eating and drinking. Should I be worried?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Elaine replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, this is Dr. Elaine
I'd like to ask you a few questions if I may to better help me assist you.
How are her bowel movements? Is she using the box normally without apparent pain (i.e. not crying out when going)?
Her appetite is still normal?
Is she still able to walk and jump normally--i.e. you reported the first day she went up on the closet--can she still do this?
Has anything in the house (temperature, new people, painting, etc) changed other than her going to the veterinarian?
Was she vaccinated at the visit of treated with anything?
Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Elaine replied 1 year ago.
I will be back on line after 8am PST