Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I have a Chewawa Female, she is going to be 14 years old on

Customer Question

I have a Chewawa Female, she is going to be 14 years old on Dec 13. She has what seems to be some kind of infection, she is kinda bent to one side a bit. Her left front leg is bent in and her right shoulder and leg is longer. It appears like she is twisted in her front shoulders. She eats well, but at times acts like she is choking or gaging. She had this once before and it cleared up. It reappeared just yesterday. I thought she might have hurt her self some how. But was wondering if this might be signs of an infection? Can you tell me what we might be looking at here and what i can do perhaps to help her. Regardless I am taking her to a Vet. Thank you for any information or help.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. You've described a musculoskeletal or neurologic disorder affecting Neni most likely in her cervical (neck) spine. I don't believe that her choking/gagging is related to her posture but it is an important symptom at her age because it can indicate life-threatening cardiovascular or lower respiratory disorders. Neni's vet may recommend X-rays of Neni's spine and chest. Pragmatically speaking, I would administer a pain-relieving nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam to such a patient and carefully auscultate her chest to see if X-rays were, indeed, indicated.

To answer you directly, no, I don't expect to find infection; instead, geriatric osteoarthritis and/or degenerative disk disease would top my differential diagnosis list. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.