Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I am hoping someone can help. I have two cats that seem to

Customer Question

I am hoping someone can help. I have two cats that seem to have come down with some type of virus. the veterinarian and myself are baffled.the symptoms are extreme nausea, fever, lethargy, anorexia. they have run test, taking blood work, and x-rays.for current treatment I am giving flagyl twice a day and they were given antinausea meds I am not quite sure of the name. And 250 milliliters of fluid.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Did the bloods show anything abnormal (ie elevated white cell levels)?

Do they eat when treated with the anti-nausea medication?

Any access to toxins, plants, chemicals, or anything similar?

Any diarrhea?
Any changes in urination?

Are they fully vaccinated?
Have they been tested for feline viruses (ie FeLV, FIV, Coronavirus, etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your response. They have done blood work and it did show elevated white cells, they do not eat with the nausea medication, and they ran tests for the viruses that you mentioned. I did have the house treated for pest this past Saturday. We initially considered that they have possibly gotten into the spray however it started with one and 4 or 5 days later I now have another cat with the same symptoms. I also thought with a fever that this most likely was not toxicity

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Rebecca,

Now to see both cats affected, with fever and elevated white blood cells; this does put infectious agents to the top of our list over anything else. That said, we can sometimes see fever and immune reactions with some toxins. Therefore, can you tell me what spray was used? Was it a permethrin?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure we use terminx

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again,

Now again while we'd not usually assume that this is the result of a toxin exposure, we need to tread with care. So, since their signs have arisen so soon afterwards and if they are not responding to broad spectrum treatment for common infectious agents; it'd be prudent to phone Terminx and check what was used. That way we can make absolutely sure this isn't playing a role and that we are not missing anything (especially since a lack of response to broad spectrum treatment could mean needing to test for other agents).

That aside, when we have multiple cats affected with the same signs, we can assume that the cause is infectious (bacterial, viral, fungal, protozoal, etc) or a shared exposure (ie toxins). So, now if we consider the infectious agents, we do have quite a few on our differential list. This is especially the case since they have very subtle signs. Of course, some will be more likely the others depending on your location and their local risk factors.

Now I am in the midst of composing my thoughts regarding what could cause these signs and it has occurred me that you didn't mention if they had diarrhea or not. So, if you could let me know that would be grand.

As well, you noted an injectable anti-nausea treatment. Did they send any home with them? Do you remember the injection being quite stingy when it was given?