Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My male cat has been excessively meowing, because he has

Customer Question

my male cat has been excessively meowing, because he has been losing his fur around the start of tail and he is extremely hot around the that area as well
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
How old is Tuirodo?
How long has he had these signs?
Is he only losing hair at the tail base?
Any scabs or sores there?
Are you seeing him overgroom or itch/scratch this area?
When was he last treated for fleas? What brand did you use?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TUIRODO IS 7YRS OLD, about 6 weeks or so. We only noticed recently there are no sores or scabs. He has been biting and scratching alot in that area. flea collar hartz is the name of collar
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now if he has been biting/scratching a lot along his tail base and only has a flea collar on; then Tuirodo's signs are most suspicious for a flea allergy dermatitis. Especially as the tail base is a common area for them to sustain flea bites (since collars don't always provide whole body protection like the spot on treatments do).
Now as I am sure you can appreciate, this is one of the most common types of allergies of the cat. The problem with wee kitties with sensitivities to fleas that they aren't allergic to the fleas themselves. They are allergic to its saliva. So, all it takes is one flea having a nibble to start things off. The body releases histamines and the allergic response takes over. This is itchy and sore, so our cats may itch, scratch and some will even start pulling out tufts of hair. They scratch which can irritate the skin even more, and its a vicious cycle (they itch b/c its itchy, but its itchier because they itched, if you know what I mean). As well, as they are causing damage to the skin from scratching, they will open the door for bacterial infection (which makes it even itchier). If it is flea saliva induced, the flea that may have bitten him is probably long since dead. Cats caught in this kind of allergic response often respond well to religious spot on flea treatment but sometimes need additional short term medications to help break the itchiness cycle.
So, if he is itchy but has no sores yet, we do want to treat him properly for fleas just now. Still, to address his current discomfort and see if we can settle his vocalizing as well; I would advise a trial on antihistamines. These can help settle allergic skin reactions and decrease general itchiness and may just be enough to help give some relief. Most commonly we will use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl) for cats in this situation. A low dose (ie. 0.25mg per pound of his body weight twice daily) can just be enough to break that itchiness cycle, and give his skin the chance in needs to settle. We like to keep the dose low in kitties, as they can have drowsiness with this medication (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your kitty has any pre-existing conditions or are on any other medication without speaking to your vet. Of course if he is severely irritated, you may also want to speak to his vet about a long acting steroid injection to reduce his irritation and halt this for him.
Overall, Tuirodo's signs are all suggestive of a flea allergy dermatitis. Therefore, we'd want to treat for that with something more then a collar (do avoid the Hartz spot on treatment since there have been reports of it causing issues for cats) and address his itchiness with an antihistamine. If we do that, we can hopefully settle this irritation and calm all his signs.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.