Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

Rescued our kitty when 3wks old. She's now 14mos.

Customer Question

Rescued our kitty when 3wks old. She's now 14mos. She's been chewing up & destroying shoes every chance she gets. Seen dogs do this but never a cat! Other issue is she starting urinating throughout the house. I was home 20mkns last week and turned to see
her digging in my clean laundry basket, then relieving herself. I picked her up, took her out of the room & down the stairs...she continued to pee the whole way & then on me. My son has been going back & forth every 2wks with his dad and I. She used to go
in the car with me to & from my to pick up and drop off my son 2hra away. Never in a carrier as she loves car rides. We no longer do the car rides as no need to drive so far. There's a lot of tension in the home now as there are custody issues. I don't want
to get rid of her. We love her & she's great when she's not doing these things, but cat urine is the hardest to get rid of. She's been doing this for months so it's not a UTI. Suggestions? I'm a single disabled mom so can't afford much
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No response. Hoping for an answer before we get rid of the cat over this issue
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I was hoping to help you with your problem regarding Kitty Soft Paws today. Are you still looking for assistance?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We love her dearly but this is getting outta control
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message + Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I studied to be a vet tech years ago & have had many cats over the years. Even flew to CA from CO years ago to get a pet quality Bombay. So, I'm familiar with terminology that might confuse others.

I would say your cat is demonstrating quite a unique behavior with the chewing and destruction of shoes, I have not seen that before in a cat. But with the inappropriate urination it tells me she is demonstrating a behavioral issue. What have you tried if anything in regards ***** ***** the behavior? And has anything worked for you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We've had to put shoes in closets. She dug shoes our of a laundry basket with clothes on top of them. Just a few hours ago she came into my room & got my flip flops within mins.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You'll laugh but I went and got her different rawhide chews like for a dog. She chewed on pig ears a bit.I moved her cat tree which goes from floor to ceiling in the area she mostly resides in. We've had to start shutting all bedroom doors to keep her out. Trying to give her more attention. Put a bird feeder in front of her fav window. Giving her treats with pets. She's very unique & we even taught her sit, stay, beg, and talk for treats. She's always acted more like a dog

Wow she is pretty persistent and it is obvious that she is doing these thing with intent. Here are a couple of things you can try. First you can try Feliway which has a pheromone which is believed to relieve anxiety in some cats. It comes as a diffuser or as a spray.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's had no signs of kidney or UTI. Urinating started 2mos ago. On bath mats, towels and clean laundry. Her urine when she "marks" smells like a male cat. We have a male Maine coon that hangs around in our yard no and then. She was spayed at 5mos

You can also try to see if cat nip helps in certain situations though I have seen several cats get bored of it quickly

Another option is to consider is trying an anti-anxiety with her. Common ones that are used I cats include amitryptylline and Buspar. I have had success with amitryptylline with a few cats that have demonstrated inappropriate urination.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where would I get feliway?
She doesn't like catnip. She's very unique from any cat I've ever come across. I'm about to try a kong treat all for her. lol
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Amitryptaline, really? That's good for migraines in peoole

She is a very beautiful cat by the way. You can get Feliway from Amazon. Amitryptylline is also called Elavil, It is used as an anti-anxiety in human as well. It is usually given once a day. In some cats it works really well, in others it does not do anything at all.

If you can get the Feliway, I would try that first to see if it works. If not then consult with a veterinarian to see if you can get a prescription for either of those drugs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. We don't have a vet for her. Had her spayed at a mobile clinic last year with Denver dumb friends league. I gave her rabies & Series of feline leukemia/distemper shots last year. I've been doing my cats since I got a horse in 2006 & started his. Place called Vetlink near my home sells vaccines & if you have a script most rxs.Not sure if vet from my Bombay years ago still at Parker Animal Hospital. I was in a MVA and have spine injuries so limited income being a single disabled mom.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for replying. We love her & she plays with my 6yr old son like a dog. No kidding, she will chase after him & vice versa. She tackles him when he comes home from school & gets in the house. When I go somewhere I've been told she cries after me & she waits at the door til I come back.
She used to sleep with us, but had to lock her out since eating shoes & now the urinating. I don't know if she's upset cuz we don't take her on car rides anymore or what
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lot of tension here too with custody issues and my son coming and going every two wks for summer

Sorry to hear about your accident. I know that at least at my office the amitryptylline is not that expensive for cats but you still would need to pay for an office visit. Not sure how much Buspar is because I haven't prescribed it that much. But either way I don't think they will be too expensive. But with the tension I am sure the anxiety is driving the behavior. A veterinarian may still request a urinalysis though to cover their bases.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again! Ordering feliway now. In meantime I remember seeing the sentry calming collar at the store. Heard anything about that,

You are welcome. I haven't heard about sentry before, but I am sure it wouldn't hurt to try. Let me know if you have any further questions and keep me up to date with how the Feliway works. You still can follow up with me for a few days even after you have accepted my answer and rated me.

Good luck with Kitty Soft Paws. She looks like a very special cat. I am rooting for her!