Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I see an answer about unclassified WBCs in a cat. I have

Customer Question

I see an answer about unclassified WBCs in a cat. I have been told about half of my 16 year old cats WBCs are unclassified along with hemolytic anemia, and weight loss from 16 to 8 pounds. My feeling is he wants to lay down and go. Our vet suggests getting a pathologist to look at the cells. What is your suggestion?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I agree with you. Any 16 year old suffering from such profound weight loss, hemolytic anemia and unclassified WBCs must be considered to be harboring myeloproliferative disease (normal bone marrow is likely to be crowded out by malignant cells) and has a grave prognosis for recovery. I have no objection to having our pathologist review the cells - there's rarely a charge for this if the original complete blood count (CBC) were submitted to a reference lab or performed on that lab's equipment in house - but I believe such a review should be considered to be of academic interest only.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I did ask for a Pathologist review, and as a Clinical Lab Scientist I know what that entails, but the Clinic ( Idexx is the lab) is charging $78. I do have academic and personal interest so it is worth knowing before we let him go.
Thanks again.
I understand. I'm sorry to hear that an extra $78 is being charged. Idexx will review that CBC at no charge to me. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for checking. The pathologist reviewed the slide and concluded suspicion of lymphoma orAcute leukemia. We will give him prednisalone but not do anything more since he is 16.
Thank you for the update. I understand your pragmatic approach.