petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My cat is sixteen and lately has gotten very thin. He eats

Customer Question

My cat is sixteen and lately has gotten very thin. He eats well - drinks water reasonably He is active enough ( on table tops any time butter is left out) Throws up - but a lot of hair and sometimes some undigested food looking pretty much like it did before it went down - (I suspect this happens only after a bowl of cat food was left empty for a while and then refilled) The one thing that is happening is that his stool is light brown,wetter than usual and very stinky. He's been wormed and had the new flea medication recently. I was hoping there might be an inexpensive remedy to try as we have four rescue cats and Vet bills are difficult.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

It is difficult to talk about the treatment options when we don't know what the diagnosis is yet. With the symptoms that you describe, the top rule outs would be a potential overactive thyroid gland, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) or intestinal cancer, but other conditions could be involved as well. It is really essential to start with a thorough physical exam and at least some basic lab work as the various causes mentioned would have different treatments or management strategies. An over active thyroid (also called hyperthyroidism - HT) can be treated with medication. IBD or intestinal cancer can be harder to confirm, but once other diseases are ruled out, we are often left with a cat that is "suspected" to have IBD or GI cancer as the cause of their weight loss and other GI signs. In those cases, even without further work up, some of these cases can be managed with medications and/or diet change.

I would urge you to schedule him for an evaluation with your vet soon. If you let them know of your financial constraints, they can help you to prioritize steps and proceed with the most cost effective plan of diagnosis and treatment plan.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Z.