petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My pregnant cat has coccidian, and I cannot get the flagyl

Customer Question

My pregnant cat has coccidian, and I cannot get the flagyl into her, and my vet wants to start her on Albon, which from what I have read, is not safe in pregnant cats
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

Does Belize currently have diarrhea?

Is she otherwise doing well (appetite, weight, etc)

How far along is she? When are the kittens due?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is REVENOUS and her weight is good. She is due in 2 weeks. And yes, she has diarrhea.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply.

I am not sure why Flagyl is being recommended unless there are other parasites (like Giardia) that are suspected. I have not seen references that Metronidazole (flagyl) is effective at treating coccidia. There is concern as well bout the safety of Flagyl in pregnant cats, so it would be best to just avoid it. You can however use a dewormer like fenbendazole (which would treat Giardia if present) or pyrantal.

If the diarrhea is not affecting her appetite and if the kittens are due soon, it may be beneficial to wait it out and use the albon after she delivers them while considering bottle feeding them. Careful cleanup of stool in the environment of the kittens will be necessary, but you may need to treat the kittens as well down the line.

Other supportive measures would include using a probiotic, trying a bland diet (like Purina EN or Hills i/d canned) and keeping stress levels down are reasonable starting points. Her diarrhea may improve some after she delivers the kittens and her stress is reduced.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z