Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

What are the health risks of tartar in my cats back molars

Customer Question

what are the health risks of tartar in my cats back molars
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now dental health in our cats is as important to them as it is for us. In regards ***** ***** risks for Kate with this tarter on her back molars, there are a few to consider. The first ones will be the tarter's direct effects. Specifically, this will increase the rate of decay and rot that affects the teeth trapped under the tarter (which can be painful when the decay erodes down to the nerve). It will also cause inflammation or gingivitis above these teeth. This can make the gums swollen, prone to bleeding, and sore. And if that discomfort gets severe enough for her, she may start to refuse hard foods and eventually wet as well (It is not uncommon for this to be a reason for older cats to go off their food). Otherwise, this will be a focus of infection, so it is possible that the tarter will lead to bad breath and possible risk of bacterial infections elsewhere in the body (from what she swallows or if the bacteria gain access to her blood stream via her gums.
Overall dental health is very important for our cats. Therefore, it'd be ideal to address this now, remove any bad teeth, and try to start teeth brushing with her once her teeth are back to clean to ensure she has no risk of severe dental issues as she gets older.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. -**Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is how I am credited for helping you. ** Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )