Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

We have a generally happy neutered male who recently started

Customer Question

We have a generally happy neutered male who recently started to obsessively grooming and scratching. He is an indoor only cat, doesn't have fleas. He now has some bald spots and few scabs.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

In the absence of fleas, the most likely cause of this would be something called Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex. It is an immune condition that arises in cats (cat start at any age) and it itches, and they groom their fur off and you will see little open red sores/scabs. It is treated easily with a steroid injection. Be careful googling this condition, because the info you will find on the internet will look NOTHING like what we actually see in practice. They are not sure what causes it, but steroids are the only real treatment for it. I would see your vet for a simple skin test that will diagnose it, and then get the injection to treat it.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.