Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

Fiona. I accidentally stepped on my cat Sally on 8/1. She is

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Fiona. I accidentally stepped on my cat Sally on 8/1. She is a petite Russian blue, almost 2 yrs old. I really stepped on her- felt buoyant like torso not paw. I was barefoot. She weighs maybe 9 lbs. She gave a little cry, ran downstairs, jumped onto the cat tower and ate a few kibbles. Then she jumped down and went back upstairs. I followed her and picked her up to continue my apology and evaluate her. She showed no signs of discomfort. She reached out for the windowsill - my office window on the 2nd story is her pet door. And I put her down on the windowsill. As she was walking to the peak of the roof something didn't look right. She was slightly crouched as if in pain and moving slowly. She reached the peak and sat down. I wasn't able to coax her back inside despite calling and trying for a while. I checked back within the hour and she was gone. And she is still gone. I fear I caused internal bleeding or organ damage when I stepped on her and that she is deceased. I release you can't say for sure but I am beside myself. I can't eat or sleep. Please let me know your opinion. Thank you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. I'm very sorry to hear about this situation with your girl Sally. Dr. Fiona is currently offline and I thought I would give you my thoughts on this. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. I've worked in an ER clinic for about 10 years and I've seen all kinds of trauma situations. I'll be honest and say that you're stepping on her wouldn't have been something that typically causes internal bleeding or organ damage. I've had lots of owners come in that have accidentally stepped on their cat in the middle of the night in a very similar situation and pretty much all the cases have caused just short periods of discomfort and not something life threatening. A few of my cases have caused broken bones. I have just seen one that caused a ruptured bladder. With how she acted after the incident immediately, it wouldn't seem that concerning that it was a very damaging accident. The fact that she was mobile and at some food really has me placing as little concern as possible that you seriously injured her.
Now in saying all this, why hasn't she come back? That is something that unfortunately has more of a chance of being due to trauma from being outside than what happened inside. Could she have been picked up by the humane society / animal control? Could she be at a neighbors being given food / water / shelter? I would call around to your local vet's offices and let them know she's gone and if they have had any reports. I would call the local animal control too. Over my career, I've had numerous patients brought into my clinic with a history of disappearing for numerous days to weeks. I wouldn't give up hope on her. I'm hoping for the best. I feel that you didn't cause an injury to her that will not let her come back.