Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My daughter says her hamsters eyes are bulging out (a

Customer Question

My daughter says her hamsters eyes are bulging out (a little). Has had hamster about 6 months, it has been healthy. This is unusual. There do not seem to be any vets open at 9pm. Will hamster live until morning? Do i ned to get eye drops and put in eyes every four hours tonight? What do you think?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.
Now if hie eye is bulging, this can be triggered by a few different issues. We can see it due to glaucoma or infection inside they eye. As well, it can be caused by something putting pressure on the eye from behind (a mass, abscess, traumatic swelling to bleed).
In regards ***** ***** question, if he is breathing comfortably and not in distress; then he will likely live until morning. Though the future of this eye may be compromised if it is already out. Still, to keep the eye from drying out, you can apply artificial tears (ie Viscotears, Lacrilube --though avoid any that are for "getting the red out") to the eye until he is seen. Depending on his vet's findings, they can start him on eye drops to address those primary eye issues or treat with oral anti-inflammatories +/- antibiotics for anything pressing on the eye from behind
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )