Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My cat has been up and down years. He is tiny. 6 Pounds.

Customer Question

My cat has been up and down for 3 years. He is tiny. 6 Pounds. Seems every 6 month he gets weak and lethargic and does not eat. He does not drink water, never has, so he gets it through wet food or I syringe it to him. Sometimes raw steak seems to do the trick. Sometimes a steroid shot. They have done 2 X-rays in the last 6 weeks and are not finding anything. His teeth were bad so I got them cleaned. No works. I am at a loss.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Such a protracted and episodic history would require a thorough diagnostic work-up perhaps by a specialist veterinary internist (please see here: www.acvim.org). His paresis (weakness), lethargy, and anorexia are all important signs but they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder. Can you upload a copy of his most recent test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but his vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com.