Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My cat got out about a month ago. We finally found m but he

Customer Question

My cat got out about a month ago. We finally found him but he looks very skinny because we don't think he was eating. I've been feeding him since we found him 3 days ago. He might have gained a little but still extremely skinny. His little nose is white and my daughter says his gums lost some color to. I'm trying to get him to gain weight any help would be great.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be happy to help you. If his gums and nose are more pale, my concern is that he may be anemic. It could be due to lack of nutrition, intestinal parasites or blood parasites. Kidney problems, liver problems and immune system problems are possible, but I would look for the others first. My recommendation would be to have your vet run some blood work and a fecal exam at the least. If he is very anemic, he may need treatment for the underlying cause in order to fully recover. The most you can do at home is to put him on a kitten food. It should be more calorie dense and allow him to gain some weight. I would make sure there are no underlying medical concerns, though, first. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns before rating. Hope this helps.