Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My 10 yr old male cat had a urinary issues many years ago.

Customer Question

My 10 yr old male cat had a urinary issues many years ago. Since that time he has been on on Hills CD hard cat food and Friskies Special Diet canned food. He has never had another problem. Friskies has discontinued their special diet line and I'm lost as to what to replace the canned food with. Went to Petsmart and no one there was much help. Can you recommend something to replace the Friskies Special Diet?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

Well, the Friskies special diet may not be so special! If it is not a prescription food, than it is unlikely clinically tested for doing anything.

Also, you must be careful when mixing with a great prescription diet like C/D. The general rule is if you exceed more than 10-15% of the diet with something other than the C/D, it ruins the entire effectiveness of food.

So, if I were you, I would simply go with the matching canned C/D formula. It is available in canned as well.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

I should also point out the C/D canned comes in some good flavors like Tuna, Chicken and Ocean Fish. Quite a few vets should carry in there hospitals some of these choices.

Good Luck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that strictly only sold by veterinarians or can I purchase at Petco or Petsmart?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

Might be able to get at Petsmart, but you'll need to bring a written prescription from your vet to get it. That should not be a problem with your vet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also am I correct that for these issues you need a low ash/low magnesium food?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

Well, I am not so sure if it has to be "low" magnesium or controlled. Science Diet has tested foods like this for years. It's not necessarily about being to low, as that can be bad as well. So, its well controlled based on their studies as the food was developed. It would require specifically talking with a Science Diet representative to see what impact low ash has on the overall importance of the food, but yes, lower magnesium is necessary.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

If your really really interested in diet formula of c/d don't hesitate to email them. Never hurts.

http://www.hillspet.com/contact-us.html

About the best answers I can throw out there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much for your help
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome!

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?