Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

We had out Terro ant killer and didn't see our cat get into

Customer Question

hi there, we had out Terro ant killer and didn't see our cat get into it. But he had 2 big vomits in last 48 hours and doesn't seem to have much of an appetite. He is 15 and takes cosequin for arthritis pain. He had iodine therapy with great success for a hyperactive thyroid nearly 8 months ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello.

These ant traps are pretty safe in dogs and cats. The most we typically see with an ingestion is some GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea). If the package was ingested, we can also see intestinal obstructions. Most of the time they're chewed up and the bait it ingested. You can give him a dose of Pepcid AC (Famotidine) to help settle his stomach and get his appetite back. You can give 1/2 of a 10 mg tablet.

I would also try to entice him to eat to get his appetite back. You can use canned food or fishy foods. Once eating more normally, you can switch him to his normal diet. He should have a full recovery within the next 2-3 days.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.