Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice,
18324312

My 13 yr cat diagnosed hyperthyroid with gh t4 & weakness in

Customer Question

My 13 yr cat diagnosed hyperthyroid with high t4 & weakness in legs...had iodine therapy nov. 2014...she now has occasional wobbly legs ...Have been told it's ataxia...isn't ataxia a symptom of hypo thyroid....is this result of iodine treatment ...
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Bob. I'm sorry to read of your cat's condition. It is quite possible that she is now hypothyroid, as the radioactive iodine destroys thyroid tissue and the control of the extent of that destruction is difficult. Have you had her thyroid levels checked since the iodine tratment?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they were low at 2 mths after treat but in range 1.3
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Okay, thank you. It is quite psooible that more thyroid function has been lost since then, so another thyroid test should be performed to see where she is with her thyroid.

Of course, there are quite a large number of other conditions that may cause weakness in the rear limbs. Conditions from arthritis to neurological lesions can cause weakness in the rear legs to appear. A general physical examination should be performed to rule out other conditions that can also exist along with a hypothyroid state. The correction of this condition would depend on the underlying cause, but if it is simple hypothyroidiswm with no complicating factors, a thyroid supplement could offer very rapid relief

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

from the symptoms you're seeing. Hopefully that will be the only problem and she'll soon be back to normal, but if you should still have questions, please let me know.

Kind regards, *****