Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My cat hasn't eaten shud I miss s insulin jab and try to see

Customer Question

My cat hasn't eaten shud I miss his insulin jab and try to see if he will eat in mornin then give the insulin!! They have taken test for pancreatis!!results this week going to vet Tmmrw as so worried he not really drinking a lot either!!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

I am sorry to hear that Lion isn't eating at all for you or drinking much.

The rule of thumb is if they don't eat DO NOT give insulin. Giving insulin when they haven't eaten (and thus have little blood glucose to send into cells) can cause a dangerous drop in blood glucose levels which could cause extreme weakness and seizures.

To perk his appetite I recommend offering meat baby foods or a bland diet of 2/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken and 1/3 boiled brown rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to improve palatability, get additional fluids into him and make it easy to lap up and swallow.

If he continues to not eat he should see his veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics and intravenous fluids and supportive care, so I glad to hear that you plan on that tomorrow.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.