Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I have a 3yr old spayed female cat who, since I rescued her,

Customer Question

I have a 3yr old spayed female cat who, since I rescued her, has occasionally had bright red blood, just a drop or 2, at the end of her stool, I've had all the tests run, seen three different Vets and no one can tell me whats wrong. Just this past week, she has started pooping on the floor (3x)..I have pheromones dispensers going in living room where they lay a lot. My 4 yr old boy is calmer & she is too.
I just can't believe that nothing is wrong. She eats very well, plays, is very active.
I'm stumped! Help
MaryAnne Courter
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
Are her stools quite loose or hard?
Is she up to date with worming?
What tests did the vets actually do?
Are you seeing blood in these recent accidents?
Where in the house is she passing these (ie near her box, by a door/window/ etc, on furniture, etc)?
Is she still using the box for urine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dr.B......Her stool is both...solid in the beginning then looser at the end where the blood is. Yes, she's been tested a couple of times for worms (stool samples). They have run 'blood' work on her (I don't know for what exactly) but everything is normal .The last three times she passed was in 3 different places. Once in the living room by her 'brothers' scratch pads, once in the kitchen on the tile and the 3rd time in the garage by the car door outside. Yes, she still urinates in the litter box. I have a pic of this I could send you, if I knew how..I'll work on it....does this help?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Did they only test for worms? No protozoa, viruses, or bacteria?
These random places she has gone, was she near there when she went (like she had to go when she did)? Or did she seem to seek them out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sent in request for phone call 7 hrs ago...haven't heard anything. No real happy with your set-up here. am I being charged by day? I started this request yesterday. Phone # (###) ###-####
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I regret that I'm not allowed to correspond with customers by phone. If your cat has passed all conservative testing nicely and has been presumptively wormed with 5 consecutive days of fenbendazole - a broad spectrum wormer against all of the nematodes and the protozoan Giardia - scoping and biopsy including bacterial cultures and cytology of her distal colon/rectum is the next diagnostic of choice and the most expedient manner in which to clarify why she has exhibited hematochezia (blood in the stool) since you rescued her. Her inappropriate defecation should be considered secondary to a medical problem and not addressed in a behavioral manner until the etiology of her hematochezia is clarified. Colitis - idiopathic/unknown cause, food allergy, infectious - bacterial, viral, parasitic/rarer parasites such as Tritrichomonas fetus or Cryptosporidium - is most commonly found. Anal sac abscess or mass and colorectal adenocarcinoma are less commonly found.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.