Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have a six year old cat who has a problem keeping herself

Customer Question

I have a six year old cat who has a problem keeping herself clean, so once a week I use a clean warm cloth to clean her underside. Currently she has an infection and is red, swollen, and a rash has formed and I was wondering what line of treatment you would recommend. And what can i do down the line to prevent this from happening in the future. She is 16 lbs., so a little over weight, I have tried diets to no success. Currently she is eating Purina One indoor advantics. As of late, I have been trying to keep the area clean on a daily basis, but the pain is so great she only allow me to start the process but rarely finish. I live in the country and will not be able to get to the vet till Tuesday what do you recommend. I have access to omaxacilline(Not sure how to spell that.)
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
Does she have issues with feces or urine?
Does the skin have any pimples, pustules, or crusting/scaling?
Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on an alternative site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.