Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Cat is losing hair in the same place on s lower back near

Customer Question

Cat is losing hair in the same place on his lower back near tail. He licks it and he also eats constantly and doesn't get enough to eat. he is an outdoor cat who comes and goes. Its also very hot outside.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping I can help you with Spaz today. I just have a few questions to ask. Has Spaz seem to be losing weight? Does he drink a lot? How about his bathroom habits, is he urinating normally?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure to any of these as he come in and then proceeds to go out after he eats roams the back yard and woods and comes back again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He could eat about 5x's per day and he is thin.

Okay thanks for the information . A couple things I would be worried about in regards ***** ***** loss of hair would either be fleas, or allergies. Fleas tend to cause cause hairloss around the tail base. Is he on any flea preventative? With him being thin and eating all the time, I would be worried about either an over active thyroid, kidney disease, or diabetes. Is he easy to catch to take to the veterinarian?