Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

How best to care their mother abandoned them at three and

Customer Question

how best to care for kittens their mother abandoned them at three and one half weeks
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.

Hi there!

At 3.5 weeks of age, kittens should be fed milk replacer, which sounds like you're already doing. I would use a bottle/nipple combo though instead of a syringe because feeding by syringe increases the risk of aspiration (inhalation of milk into the lungs). There are many types of bottles for kittens and I would choose a set with different nipples so that they could "grow" with the kittens. How much and how often to feed is based on age/weight and you can find more information on this here: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=576

After each meal, you should stimulate the kittens to urinate/defecate; you can do this by taking a cotton ball, running under tap water and gently stroking the kittens' vaginal/anal area over a skin, etc., so that they could eliminate.

At the age of 5-6 weeks, I would start offering a mix of water and kitten canned food in shallow dishes and water separately to drink also from a shallow dish. Over a period of 1-2 weeks, the kittens should transition to the kitten food fully and you could at that point start adding dry food.

Hope this helps!

Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rose Edwards,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Gene