Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat is 20 years old, and was just diagnosed with kidney

Customer Question

Hello
My cat is 20 years old, and was just diagnosed with kidney failure. I'm told His numbers are off the charts, and they are estimating there is 2% kidney function. He's developed cold symptoms all of a sudden (bad stuffy nose, runny eyes, sore throat). He's not eating or drinking. Would giving antibiotics help him at all. My vet says no, but I'm looking doe a second opinion.
Thank you
Elizabeth
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear about your cat. I have never been lucky enough to have a cat live so long. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

If these symptoms are due to a bacterial infection, then antibiotics should help. Many upper respiratory infections are viral infections, and they do not respond to antibiotics. It may be worth a try; if antibiotics are going to help, you should see improvement in a couple of days.

Putting him in the bathroom when it is hot and steamy may help with his congestion. You can also use childrens nose drops, like Little Noses, once to twice daily for nasal congestion.

Are you giving him supplemental fluids under the skin for his kidney disease? That may help his kidneys and his congestion.

Let me know what else I can help with.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
How is he doing? Can I help with or answer anything else?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rebecca,It's so kind of you to check in about Chris. Sadly, he passed away on Sunday morning. I can't believe it and am devastated. At least he was at home, not at a hospital, I'm thankful for that.All my best,
Pamela
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for letting me know. My sincere condolences. I hope his passing was peaceful.