Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

How can my cat go with an uti if veterinarian is not

Customer Question

how long can my cat go with an uti if veterinarian is not available?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now this isn't something we want to leave to linger, since bladder infections are uncomfortable and can spread to the kidneys or blood stream making them very ill. In regards ***** ***** she can have this, one cannot put a actual time to this since infection spreads in the body at varying rates (depending on her immune system, how bad the infection, what species of bacteria, etc). This is the same for animals as it is for people.
Therefore, if she is not in distress, is passing urine, eating/drinking, and doesn't appear overly unwell; then you can choose to wait until your vet is open after the weekend. But we'd really not want to let that infection have any more time to develop in her bladder as we must since the longer we do, the more risk of serious spread and this making her feel unwell.
So, it is an urgent though not emergency condition. So, it'd be best to have her seen as soon as your vet is open but you can keep giving her fluids and offering wet food to keep her hydrated and try to help her flush some of this out and delay any infection spread.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )