Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My 5 year old cat seems in intestinal distress. He is a

Customer Question

My 5 year old cat seems in intestinal distress. He is a total indoor cat and we can't imagine anything that he may have gotten into. When we got home he was very sociable and laying under our feet, which is unusual. He howled, then meowed in a seemingly pained manner. We discovered poop on the carpet in the hall, which has never occurred before. He is licking his butt a lot, may have diarrhea, and huddling in a corner. Should we take him to the 24 hour vet now or continue to observe for a while. It would be quite upsetting to him to go to the vet.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your cat. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Has he vomited at all, or does he have diarrhea only? Is he eating? If you look at his gums, are they pink in color, or do they look pale?

I just came online and saw your question. I am sorry you did not get help from an expert until now. How is he doing now? Do you still need help with him?