Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

How can I tell if my cat has a UTI, or of its a urinary

Customer Question

How can I tell if my cat has a UTI, or of its a urinary tract obstruction ?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Russell and his urinary issues. I am happy to help you this evening. This is a very good question and is a very important question. I am happy to help you this evening. If he is going to the box or other places in the house and is squatting and meowing and yowling really loud and keeps trying urinate and absolutely nothing is coming out then he most likely is obstructed and will need to be seen immediately. If he is doing this but is able to get small amounts of urine out at a time then he most likely is not completely obstructed and may have a urinary tract infection. Male cats also get cystitis which is inflammation of the bladder without any bacterial infection and this is usually caused by stress. This can look like an obstruction but usually can get small amounts out still but it is painful and uncomfortable. Either way he needs to be seen but obstruction is an emergency situation. If you are unsure if anything is coming out and he seems really painful and is laying around open mouth breathing then he definitely should be seen tonight or if you are just unsure if anything is coming out then definitely have him seen tonight. If he is obstructed and to much time passes then this does become life threatening.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is able to get small amounts out, but is spending A LOT of time in the box.We were gone for a few days and had family visiting home once a day. He's a very social cat who needs people. Perhaps he got stressed since nobody was here but once a day for a short amount of time and that causes the UTI?

Most likely this has caused stress and now he has inflammation in his bladder. That is good he is getting small amounts out. He still needs to be seen but if you think he can comfortably wait until morning then that would be ok. But if he is so uncomfortable still then having him seen tonight is not a bad idea. But yes the stress of going out of town causing inflammation of the bladder and causes these signs of a UTI

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I actually brought him home from the vet about two hours ago. The vet gave me information on both a UTI and obstruction. Symptoms seem the same so I thought I would seek additional advice. The vet sent him home with antibiotics. I just love this cat so much and wanted to make sure that the UTI seems like a proper diagnosis. I will give him the antibiotics, a lot of love, and some wet food in an effort to make them happy. Would you suggest that I do anything special to help it heal faster?

Antibiotics are not necessarily the wrong medication but usually a pain medication is also necessary because the pain in the bladder causes more stress and then the stress causing more inflammation which is a vicious cycle. So if you do not see any improvement by tomorrow then he needs some pain medications. I like to use buprenorphine because it is a great pain medication in cats and helps them relax which provides relief and helps him heal faster. So discuss this with your vet tomorrow if no improvement. But usually these situations aren't truly caused by infections and usually caused by FLUTD, feline lower urinary tract disease or "cystitis". But it is possible it could be a UTI and antibiotics will help. But watch him closely. Just keep him in a quiet calm place and lots of water to help flush his system. But again if no improvement call your vet tomorrow for pain medications.