Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

We have a female long haired tabby that was coughing this morning.

Customer Question

We have a female long haired tabby that was coughing this morning. Now she is breathing through her month and has drool that is very thick. What should we do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- How old is Skeeter? 2- Did these symptoms start this morning? 3- Is she panting? 4- Is she strictly indoors? 5- Any pre existing medical conditions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5 years old
She was coughing this morning like she was trying to get up a hairball
she is'nt panting but her month is slightly open, tongue is out a little and not constantly but every now and then she has thick drool
No pre-existing medical conditions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is strictly indoors
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Give me a few minutes while I type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, cats as a species normally do not cough unless there is an underlying medical disorder. In this case, the first medical condition that we need to rule out is an underlying heart/lung disease. You see, when the heart is not functioning appropriately as a pump the lungs will build up fluid causing the patient to show the same symptoms you are describing. Could there be other diseases with similar symptoms? Yes. Ingestion of a foreign body, infections, toxicity, etc. can have similar symptoms. But, it is important to rule out heart disease as it can be fatal if not treated early. Unfortunately there is not much I can recommend for you to try at home that would have a significant therapeutic benefit. Highly recommend taking her to the nearest ER veterinarian for a hands on examination. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think your answer was pretty much a caned answer and I feel this is a scam.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I am really sorry your feel like that; I will opt out so another expert can help you.