Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My boyfriend has 4 indoor cats, they were moved to my place

Customer Question

My boyfriend has 4 indoor cats, they were moved to my place 2 months ago. His large 8 yr old fixed male is not eating. The visit to the vet said he has fatty liver and liver failure. They did blood test and ultrasound also prescribed appetite stimulant.
He is eating, but still vomits from time to time. My boyfriend is very concerned. The cat is not as alert as usual and we keep him separate from the others. We give him a couple plates of different foods....
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Michelle-mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Michelle and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the Experts?
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.
Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.
Thank you,
Michelle~Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not received a response, thanks for checking back
Thank you, ***** ***** continue to look for an Expert to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.
Best,
Michelle-Moderator
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you tell me, please, if an ultrasound-guided needle biopsy of Eddy's liver were performed in an attempt to clarify why his liver has failed? This would be my next diagnostic of choice in an attempt to tailor medical therapy more specifically.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No biopsy was preformed.
Thank you. Is Eddy currently being administered medications other than the appetite stimulant?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, he's about 20 lbs, and is not eating. When he eats his head is cocked sideways so I thought maybe ulcer or abscess in mouth?
Yes, there might be either in his oral cavity. Please note that dental X-rays may be necessary because the great bulk of dental disease exists below the gum line. Anesthesia is necessary for those films and might be contraindicated if Eddy's liver hasn't recovered sufficiently. Eddy's vet can examine Eddy's oral cavity for obvious lesions and consider dental X-rays but I would attempt to clarify why Eddy's liver has failed by biopsying his liver first. There would be no point in pursuing an oral lesion if his liver wasn't "repairable". Please continue our conversation if you wish.