Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Boarded, licensed, and accredited veterinarian. Interests: general medicine, ophthalmology (eyes).
76915428

I have three abandoned kittens who were found on the fuel dock

Customer Question

I have three abandoned kittens who were found on the fuel dock at our marina. I have had them for a month. I have one who refuses to wean, aspirates the KMR and stopped growing. He is otherwise happy and healthy. I don't want to take him to the vet because they would probably suggest euthanasia. Any help you can offer?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Vet_Dr.Drea replied 1 year ago.
Hello, as a licensed veterinarian I am happy to assist you.Without seeing the little guy I can't say for sure, but if he is otherwise happy and healthy as you say I wouldn't assume your vet would suggest euthanasia- I certainly wouldn't! There are many things we can do to help kittens along, even when they are very young and I suspect that is all he might need. If he truly aspirated the KMR and stopped growing then, I am concerned he could have pneumonia. This is serious and requires aggressive treatment (typically antibiotics, fluids, possibly oxygen support and a feeding tube if he won't eat), but we can often get them past it. If he has pneumonia, he is unlikely to get better without veterinary treatment and would likely, unfortunately, pass away. So, if there is a possibility this happened a trip to the vet is definitely warranted. If he is eating, but is just growing slower, and otherwise seems happy and healthy, this may not be a problem and probably just indicates that he is the runt of the litter and may always be a bit smaller. As long as he continues to eat and grow (even if it's at his own pace!), he can likely make it. Runts are more likely to have congenital defects and more prone to illness however, so keep a close eye on him.Thank you for your question- please feel free to respond with additional questions. Please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for my time (I am not compensated in any other way). Thank you! Dr. Drea