Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My female cat almost 2 yrs. old has this problem where her

Customer Question

My female cat almost 2 yrs. old has this problem where her skin on top of her lower back twitches real bad and she bites at her back haunches and shakes her head and runs around, sits down and bites at her haunches and does the running thing again. This goes on for awhile then stops. This happened before and then stopped and didn't happen for along time. Now it's back over these past few days. Tonight's episode lasted longer than it ever has.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,Thanks for your question regarding your 2 year old girl Missy. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.Thank you for your patience.Kind Regards,Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,Thank you for your patience. There are a few potential causes for Missy's behavior. It is very likely this girl has an allergy to something, and I will run through some of the possibilities here. First and foremost, you need to make sure that Missy is definitely up to date with flea control. Make sure you are using a flea product appropriate for her weight. Even if you cannot see any fleas or flea dirt on you girl, doesn't necessarily mean there are one or two lurking and oftentimes this is all it takes for a cat with flea allergy dermatitis.Flea allergies are avoided by strict flea control - every 3 - 4 weeks with Advantage Multi or Advocate or every 5 - 6 weeks with Frontline. Do make sure you use one of these premium products as other products tend not to work very well. You must also ensure all pets in the household are treated at the same time. You should also consider flea bombing the entire house to kill all larvae and eggs hiding in your carpet. It is definitely possible Missy could have skin mites or lice as they commonly irritation that can lead to scratching like this. These could be either Demodex (less itchy) or Sarcoptes mites (VERY itchy) and you should ensure a full Veterinary skin scrape to check for mites and lice, as well as signs of fleas. There could well be something else going on here such as Demodectic mange which is a little harder to spot and requires on going treatment. Hopefully your Vet has already carried out a series of skin scrapes and possibly even a skin biopsy. Cats can also become allergic to many natural ingredients in their diet. I would also recommend a food trial for your girl using a hypoallergenic food like Hill's Z/D ultra available from your Vet. Feeding ONLY this for 5 - 6 weeks will give you an idea of whether a food allergy is to blame here. If this is an allergy, then treating it will treat the behavior. Also ensure there are no stressors for her at home as cats will sometimes start this behavior due to stress. You may even want to try the feline pheromone diffuser - 'Feliway' - www.feliway.com Finally - we do have to consider feline hyperasthesia syndrome if all tests are normal and there is no obvious reason for this scratching. You can read more about this HERE.I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Kind Regards,Dr EBonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciatedIf you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I thought I would quickly check in to see how you are doing with your girl Missy. How is she doing at the moment? Did you get a chance to follow up with your vet as yet?
It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.
Kind Regards,
Dr E